Senior Distribution Engineer
Job OverviewJob Number: 47779
Job title: Senior Distribution Engineer
Job description: NOTICE OF JOB OPPORTUNITY
Senior Distribution Engineer
Oshawa Power, a subsidiary of Oshawa Power & Utilities Corporation, and affiliate of fiber optic, district energy and renewable generation businesses, is the local hydro-electric distribution company that supplies electricity to more than 60,000 customers in the city of Oshawa. Located just 45 minutes east of Toronto off the shores of Lake Ontario, Oshawa serves as the economic engine for the Durham Region. Home to Lakeridge Health, Durham College and Ontario Tech University, Oshawa boasts a diversified economy ranging from advanced manufacturing and power generation to information technology and transportation.
Oshawa Power maintains 1000 km of overhead and underground distribution lines within a 150 km2 service territory, operated at 44 and 13.8 kV, supplied by 9 distribution and 3 transmission substations. The organization is committed to the safe, reliable and efficient delivery of electricity through responsible financial management, strategic reinvestment and continuous innovation.
Reporting to the Director, Engineering Services, the Senior Distribution Engineer is responsible for a wide range of engineering support services that will ensure technical soundness, reliability, safety, and cost effectiveness of the utility and its Electrical Distribution System. Key responsibilities include short- and long-term system planning, engineering studies, technical consultation, providing support to the development and maintenance of operational and capital budgets, process improvement, project management, as well as ensuring compliance to company polices, standards, and all applicable legislated codes.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for system planning and various engineering studies, including the Distribution System Plan, major project development, and engineering design.
- Reviews engineering, technical, and business reports and studies; performs analysis, testing, and evaluations.
- Responsible for the maintenance of technical standards and performs operational design reviews on primary electrical projects.
- Manages the design and execution of protection and control systems and ensure safe work practices are incorporated.
- Performs load transfer studies and participates in short and long-term system planning.
- Assists with coordination and project management of capital programs, including communications with external contractors, engineering consultants, government agencies, and customers.
- Provides technical support and consultation, demonstrates effective project management and process efficiencies; reviews, develops, and/or presents business proposals, plans, designs, processes, operational procedures and practices.
- Identifies, develops and prepares capital construction program and project justifications aligned to asset condition assessments and long-term system planning; report on progress and account for deviations in plan
- Participates in & manage distribution asset life cycle analysis and failure investigation analysis
- Provides technical knowledge and data to all relevant submissions to the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) to ensure program approval.
- Undertakes reliability investigation and studies, performs analyses, and determines appropriate actions to improve and optimize grid operations and reliability.
- Provides technical details to Finance and Regulatory Departments to aid in the completion of OEB cost of service filings.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders, including employees, external customers, contractors, and government agencies.
- Ensures compliance to technical standards, polices, and all applicable legislated codes.
- Provides technical coaching, mentorship, and support to team members.
- Applies knowledge of utility standards, guides, specifications and procedures for continuous improvement.
- Participates in hazard risk and impact analysis to prioritize plans consisting of prevention, mitigation, and response to improve grid contingency and continuity.
- Participates in utility industry committees such as Utilities Standards Forum (USF) and other working groups for standards, relevant design requirements, and best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related field.
- Registration with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng) in the province of Ontario.
- 5+ years of related work experience in engineering, planning, project management, or related field. Preference given to experience in the electrical utility industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of both overhead and underground distribution engineering/construction principles, practices, and methods.
- Experience in system planning and communications, line or substation design, protection and control, power system communication, SCADA, GIS, project management, budgeting, Net Present Value analysis, and Ontario Regulation 22/04.
- Knowledge of applicable Distribution Engineering Standards (USF, CSA, IEEE), Utility Work Protection Code, and Electrical Utility Safety Rules.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written) including the ability to build and maintain relationships, facilitate and collaborate on cross-functional projects, and communicate and work with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Proven effective problem solving and analytical ability, makes sound and timely decisions; identifies key issues and engages key stakeholders.
- Ability to deliver effective project management, operations, process and productivity improvements.
- Demonstrated commitment to health & safety, ethics, and continuous improvement.
- Working knowledge of engineering software systems used for distribution design, modelling, analysis, reporting, and management.
- Customer focused; demonstrates a proactive service orientation and ability to meet customer needs in a flexible but cost-effective manner.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to write clear and concise technical reports, deliver effective presentations, and answer questions with definitive professional authority.
- Class “G” Driver license.
Applications will be accepted by email to until Friday, October 7, 2022.
Thank you for considering a career with Oshawa Power. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process for the position to which you have applied and require a disability-related accommodation, please notify Human Resources at
In accordance with Oshawa Power’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, as a condition of employment, successful job applicants must provide written proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date. This requirement is subject only to valid requests for accommodation.
Company: The Mearie Group
Location: Oshawa, ON
Job date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 23:02:07 GMT
Job Source: Careerjet.ca