Truck Driver – Automated Equipment (Sanitation Services)
Job OverviewJob Number: 48418
Job title: Truck Driver – Automated Equipment (Sanitation Services)
Job description: Truck Driver – Automated Equipment (Sanitation Services) – City of Vancouver
Truck Driver – Automated Equipment (Sanitation Services) Requisition ID: 35598
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Truck Driver, Automated Equipment will safely operate an automated collection vehicle engaged in the routine servicing of waste collection within an assigned area (Beat 4 & 12). The successful candidate will perform physical labouring and driving duties while engaged in this work. You will be collecting materials from single family, multi-family residential and commercial generators with the possibility of servicing various Parks on assigned routes within an assigned area.
You will drive a tandem axle truck to and from collection zones and to designated transfer stations or facilities while working in less than ideal conditions (eg., exposure to refuse, dust, dirt and odours) and inclement weather.
As a Truck Driver and a member of Sanitation Services, all safety protocols and safe work procedures must be followed. All required personal protective equipment must be worn at all times and a thorough knowledge of safety rules and regulations is required in order to avoid accidents.
The regular work schedule will be from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday to Friday. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts as operationally required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform daily safety inspections of the vehicle, fill out the required pre/post trip inspection form.
- Immediately report all incidents of vehicle damage and/or damage to city and/or private property.
- Tag carts for spacing, contamination and other non-compliance and immediately inform your supervisor if service is not provided.
- Completion of mandatory vehicle accident reports when necessary.
- Recognize and assess a problem or situation, determine appropriate response and relay accurate information to a Supervisor, including situations that may result in service delays.
- Responsible for minor repairs and adjustments to equipment, as well as fueling and cleaning of truck.
- Responsible for correctly and safely mounting tire chains on truck tires when required due to weather conditions.
- Keep accurate written records such as fueling and cleaning of the vehicle.
- Work with a partner, using sound judgment while performing collection duties as well as communicating with and assisting other crews as required; as part of the adopted Area Task System.
- Continually monitor the two-way radio and assigned cell phone for job related activities. Use proper, brief and concise radio procedures.
- Work co-operatively and respectfully with the Supervisors of the Sanitation Services Branch and other branches when required.
- Deal with the public in an effective, courteous and respectful manner as a representative of the City.
- Deliver excellent customer service by providing relevant information to residents about their collection process either verbally or through the tagging of carts, (to resolve spacing, placement or other issues) when necessary.
- Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions as well as verbally communicate information related to the job.
- Perform other related tasks and duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 6 months’(1040 hours) experience in Garbage/ and or Yard Trimmings Collections /and or higher driving position and/or equivalent position over the last 3 years.
- Grade 10 or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. If grade 10 is not completed, Superintendents will address an equivalent combination of experience and training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the rules of safe operation and of the precautions to avoid accidents in operating a large truck and a demonstrated ability to work safely on the job.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude to ensure that equipment is operating properly, and mechanical issues are reported appropriately.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to sufficiently perform the posted duties.
- Demonstrated ability to learn the requirements of the job in a reasonable amount of time.
- Demonstrated ability to assist crew(s) with all work functions.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions which may be accompanied by sketches and diagrams.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to inquiries and complaints, and deal tactfully with the public, contractors and co-workers.
- Agility, muscular coordination and sufficient strength to perform heavy manual labour.
- Demonstrated acceptable work habits over the last three years.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 3 BC Driver’s License with Air Brakes or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detai
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting).
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting).
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All employees are subject to this policy and all new applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: October, 2022
Position End Date: May, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-340: $33.17 per hour
Application Close: September 29, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. .
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
Location: Vancouver, BC
Region: Lower Mainland
Professional Category(s): Solid Waste & Recycling, Fleet & Driver Services/Management
Posted: September 26, 2022, 9:20 am
Expires: September 29, 2022, 4:30 pm
Employment Type: Full Time
Employment Length: Temporary
Education Requirement: Other trades certificate or diploma
Job Experience: 1 to less than 7 months
Rate: $33.17 Hour
Expected salary: $33.17 per hour
Location: Vancouver, BC
Job date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 02:47:17 GMT
Job Source: Careerjet.ca